Welcome and thank you for your interest in contributing to YellowBrick. Although we don’t offer payment for accepted submissions at the present time, we want to elevate exposure and interest in the contributors we feature, and we share links back to contributors’ websites and social media channels in an effort to broaden their audiences.
Here is some information that will help you decide if our audience is a good fit for your content.
We provide content that will serve as resources to parents and caregivers to help them raise socially responsible children. The term “socially responsible” can be interpreted in many different ways, but here’s a general overview. We want to produce content that will help raise children who:
- Feel empathy
- Display compassion
- Treat others with respect, even when they disagree with their points of view
- Act when they see examples of discrimination
- Reach out and help others when they see a need
- Champion equality for those of all races, socioeconomic classes, genders, sexual orientations, religious/spiritual beliefs
- Consume natural resources conscientiously
- Purchase goods responsibly (with consideration for where the funds go and what/whom they support)
- Have the emotional intelligence and moral compass to “do the right thing,” even when it’s unpopular
- Assume full responsibility for their own actions and behaviors and how they impact others
Whether it’s technical advice from a mental health or education professional, or a first-person perspective essay written by a fellow parent, we hope the content we offer will help our audience formulate actionable plans for teaching children about social responsibility.
We aim to help parents and caregivers think about their own manifestations of social responsibility and how their modeling informs children. We hope our content will serve as a jumping off point for parents to have age-appropriate conversations with their children about relevant and timely social responsibility topics and issues.
Requirements for Written and Video Content Submissions
We gladly accept both original and pre-published/syndicated pieces, as long as they meet the guidelines below:
– Ideal length for written pieces should be in the general range of 800-1500 words.
– Source links must be provided for all facts/research cited.
– Submissions must be well written, without misspellings and grammatical errors, please.
– You may supply accompanying images, as long as they’re non-copyrighted and free to be used (even commercially).
– Ideal length for video submissions is 3-5 minutes.
Here are some topic examples, as related to parenting socially responsible children:
-Nonviolent Conflict Resolution
-Social Media Use and/or Technology Use
-LGBTQ acceptance and respect
-Politics (respect of those with differing views)
-Public Health Concerns (tobacco use, addiction, firearms…)
-Emotional intelligence and control
-Respect for Nature & Natural Resources
-Parenting styles that promote independence and self-sufficiency
-Education – How to help students become self-sufficient learners and self-advocates (i.e., the opposite of the dependence engendered by “helicopter” parenting)
Here are some recent examples of contributors who submitted content we were thrilled to publish on YellowBrick.me:
David McDowell’s “Helping Parents Talk About Race With Their Kids”
Dr. Deena Abbe’s “How to Deal with Those Who Hate”
Geoff Genser’s “Why Therapy Works for Teens & Young Adults”
Dr. Paula-Elizabeth Jordan’s “When Dealing With Gender Identity Within the ‘Family Team”
Still interested? Fantastic! Please use the following Submittable link to send your work our way. We try to get back to contributors with decisions within 2 weeks.
Have further questions about a particular topic or pitch idea? Send them by email to Sarah [at] yellowbrick.me.
Consider joining our Facebook Contributors Group for upcoming open calls for topic-specific submissions and great discussion with other contributors about all kinds of relevant topics. It’s here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/YellowbrickContent